Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Kitchen Remodel: Painting Soffits Day 2

After the frenzy of the first day of soffit painting, I took a couple of days off.  I was actually pretty sore from standing on the ladder and leaning over sideways with my hands over my head for 6+ hours.  But late Sunday night I got a second wind and resolved to at least paint the last color.  I made a couple of changes to my technique - I bought 2 inch wide tape and I made sure it was really pressed down firmly before I started painting.  It made a huge difference because the second round of painting resulted in no bleeding issues.

I took a picture of the soffit all taped up for the final round of painting, I thought the muted colors made by the tape actually looked kind of cool.


So the funny thing is, as I was painting the yellow, I started wondering why I was using so much more yellow than I had orange or blue.  I didn't think much of it until I was laying in bed and realized that I had messed up my pattern.  Well "messed up."  I meant to paint the diamonds in this pattern, "blue, orange, yellow, blue, orange, yellow . . ."  But instead I did "blue, yellow, orange, yellow, blue, yellow . . ."  I was mortified but at that point I could only hope for the best - it was WAY too late to turn back.

But in the end, I think it turned out better with my "mess up."  I think it gives the pattern more of an argyle look.


I still need to go back and clean up some spots where the paint bled and erase the pencil marks but I'm really digging it.  Once I get the yellow countertops in and the turquoise Marmoleum on the floors, it's going to look stunning in the kitchen.  Bright and cheerful, exactly what I'm shooting for.  I'm going to make a new valance for the window too - just a white cotton panel with three rows of rick rack in blue, orange, and yellow.


6 comments:

  1. I came over from RetroRenovation, and have to say, that is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to post the image that inspired me to paint a million little diamonds. I'm glad you like it.

      Delete
  2. Nicely done! What a lot of work though. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a lot of work. Somebody craftier than me could probably have dreamed up a better way to do it. Thanks for the compliment!

      Delete
  3. Now that I have seen your whole plan I think this will be very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your progress. I totally dig your blog. I wish I could make the kitchen paint like that. Our place is a 1960 home that is currently pastel yellow siding. Please keep up the enjoyable snippets.

    ReplyDelete