Thursday, September 18, 2014

South Seas by Community (Oneida)

A while back (4 years?) I purchased a silverware set at an antique shop.  Until now, it hadn't occurred to me to write a post about it but with the appearance of Tiki Tuesday over at Retro Renovation, I thought I might share it with everyone.

The set is called "South Seas" it's silver plate with a refined yet distinctly Tiki design to it.  Sadly my set isn't complete and it looks like individual pieces of it go for $8 and up.  Some of the rare pieces like slotted spoons and serving ware can fetch into the hundreds.  From what little I've learned, the design was available from 1955 to 1965.  The original warranty card that came with my set has "4-56" on it, which I'm guessing stands for April 1956.

My set came in it's original box. I love the cute little splayed feet on it.

As you can see, I'm missing a few pieces

Here's the general form.  Simple but with a little flair on the handle.

A closeup of the design.

The backside of the fork with "South Seas/Community"

Now I just need some dishware to go with it!  I wonder what Tiki inspired dishware would look like...

No comments:

Post a Comment