Saturday, September 7, 2013

Scored! A Heywood-Wakefield dining set for $100!!

This is so hard to believe.  The retro gods have definitely smiled on me today.  Let me tell you how everything unfolded.  Driving past an antique store in Fallon, I noticed that they were having a "yard sale" in front of the store.  One of the items immediately caught my eye, a dining set that looked mid century, well made, and in a color that would match my china cabinet.  So I circled the block and came back.  I looked at the set and was surprised to see that it was being offered at $100.  Without really looking at it, I handed over $100.  I just really liked the look of it and it was a good deal.

I had intended to pick it up the next day - my husband being at work and our 4Runner having a flat tire.  But - the dealer insisted on showing me the leaves that came with the table because they were in perfect condition.  She flipped the leaf over and  pointed out the "Westwood" stamp.  What she didn't notice was the slightly blurred Heywood Wakefield stamp a few inches away. I looked at the other pieces and saw the Heywood Wakefield stamp on every piece - 4 chairs, the table, and the two table leaves.  I almost choked!!  I ran home and pumped up the tire in the 4Runner and got back to the dealer as fast as I could. I was terrified someone else would come by and say, "Hey that's a Heywood Wakefield" and my cover would be blown!

For $100 I got a set that definitely needs to be refinished and reupholstered but for that price, I can definitely justify a "tuneup" for everything.  I got the chairs in the house and they match my china cabinet perfectly. With a little TLC, I'm going to have an awesome set of furniture.  The model number is M1549G,  which was made from 1956-1966.  Since my house was built in 1962, it will fit in perfectly.

 The very clear Heywood Wakefield stamp on one of the chairs.


Table leaves, in near mint condition.  I'm so happy the set will be a close match to the china cabinet. The cabinet, by the way, came with my house when I bought it.  I think the sellers were glad to hear that I wanted to keep it.  It seems like it was made for the house.  It's either custom made or made by the original owner.


I'm no Heywood Wakefield expert but I have not been able to find an exact match for the the chairs online.  I see some that have the same basic back rest but none with the cutout in the same shape.  Could it be an early dogbone?  There are some obvious issues with the chairs but they're all still sturdy.  They just need to be refinished and reupholtsered.

The table is still in the back of the 4Runner.  We need to make room for it somewhere. From what I can see, it looks like someone did a really bad job of refinishing it once before. I'll take it to a pro to make sure it's done right this time.

I never in a million years thought I would be one of those people who finds an amazing deal like this.


1 comment:

  1. A great score, Robin! After referencing the H-W Modern Furniture ID and Value Guide, pg. 250. Your chairs are H-W M1561A Side Chair manufactured between 1958 and 1959.

    ReplyDelete